Labor & Delivery

At my 39 week appointment, my DR and I decided to induce me on my due date because I was just HUGE. Being 4’11, there is not much room past ginormous. I was so excited but so nervous, so the night before I (of course) did not sleep. Jason (Jaliyah’s daddy) was fast asleep as Jaliyah is his 3rd baby girl. I had my bags packed several weeks ahead of time so I couldn’t find anything to do to make the time past. So I spent the night drifting in and out of sleep.

We got to the hospital at 7:30am, got changed and hooked up to nonsense. I was started on Pitocin at 8:30am. My contractions started immediately but were not painful by any means. I rocked, read magazines, but was still too anxious to take advantage of not being in pain and sleeping! At 12:30pm I was only 1.5 cm dilated so my DR broke my water – which by the way, ew. I always thought it would be like in the movies with one huge gush and that was it – boy I was wrong! It just kept coming..ew. Ohhhhh man here came the contractions! It was so sudden and they were one on top of one another, nothing like I ever imagined. My numbers were going up to about 50ish almost immediately after breaking my water. I tried really hard to deal with it but I couldn't take it, I opted for an epidural at 3:30pm when I was 3 cm dilated. At that time my numbers were in the 70s to 80s with only about a 45 second break in between contractions. It's really amazing how no matter how much pain you are in, you can sit still for those 8 minutes magically haha.

I tried to sleep, but I couldn't. I only got shut eye for about 30 minutes, I was just too anxious - not to mention there was like 10 people in the room with me (which got really annoying, really fast). Around 8:00pm the pressure became intense. I always thought the epidural shielded you from all pain - nope! It helped with contraction pain but not the pressure of my little girl moving down. It became incredibly unbearable and I asked to be checked. They turned my epidural off and as soon as my nurse checked me, she said "Oh wow, I'll get the delivery table ready." I freaked! I became so nervous, I cried haha. I had so many emotions going through my mind - I was going to be a mom! I started pushing at 9:10pm and my baby girl made her appearance at 10:03pm. No episiotomy, but I had a 2nd degree tear.

I never thought I would get to experience something like this. When Jaliyah was plopped on my belly at 10:03, I didn’t know whether to cry, laugh, smile – so I did it all in one. Jason cut the umbilical cord and then they whisked her off to clean her up. I had an amazing experience with my first labor and delivery – I can’t wait to do it again!

Template designed using TrixTG